Do You Have the Right Paint Finishes?May 13, 2016
How Do You Select the Right Paint Finishes?
As a homeowner, we want our residence to be aesthetically pleasing. One of the first components of a beautiful home is a stunning paint job. However, choosing the right color and paint finishes can be daunting. With so many finishes to choose from, it’s important for you to understand what you’re looking for before you begin, and Norby Painting can help you along the way! Whether you’re looking for simple and flat, or going big and glossy, we’ve got the know-how and experienced team for you.
Having a hard time deciding? Here are a few guidelines to follow when choosing between paint finishes:
- Flat: This is on the chalky side of the paint spectrum. Flat paint finishes feature a matte sheen and are more concealing. A flat finish is perfect for walls that require little to no washing, and are perfect for concealing imperfections on walls with “character.”
- Eggshell: Ideal for walls in high traffic areas, eggshell offers a bit of luster. Long-lasting and practical, eggshell paint finishes are perfectly easy to maintain!
- Semi-Gloss: Semi-gloss is even tougher than eggshell and will show much less wear. However, this is one of the paint finishes that reflects more light when dry. This means that the pre-existing imperfections on your walls will stand out and should be taken care of before you begin your painting project. Semi-gloss stands up to water best and, as such, is great for children’s bedrooms and bathrooms.
- Satin: Similar to the eggshell and semi-gloss paint finishes, satin is unique in its pearlescent sheen. Additionally, satin is ideal for fighting off grime and mildew as it can better withstand cleaning. Of all the paint finishes, satin is one of the best for children’s rooms, hallways, and woodwork that will often be used.
- Gloss: This finish is best for door and window frames, and furniture as it has an incredibly high sheen and hard finish. Gloss is ideal for walls if one is looking for a more dramatic and glam appearance.
- High-Gloss: Of the paint finishes, high-gloss possesses depth of color. Since this sheen is the most intense, it also has the most vivid and rich color. This makes it ideal for jewel-tones and deep hues. Perfect for trim, cabinets and doors, high-gloss is ideal for wood surfaces. Remember, shinier surfaces make flaws more evident.
Once you’ve decided on the right paint finishes, it’s time to begin! Norby Painting knows that priming your surface is the first step in any painting project. Primer will prep you old surfaces and prepare it for new paint finishes. Today’s technologies allow you to mix oil-based paints and latex primers (and vice versa).